If you’re considering selling your house as is, but it needs some work before it can be sold on the market, then this blog post is for you. Should I fix up my house before putting it on the market?
Or should I sell as is and try to get a higher price than what’s needed for repairs? These are the questions that many homeowners ask themselves when deciding whether to put their house up for sale. We’ll discuss these options in detail below!
Is It Worth It to Fix Up a House Before Selling It?
First, you’ll need to determine if it’s a seller’s market or a buyer’s market. If it’s a seller’s market, then you can probably sell your house as-is for a lower price and still make some profit. But if the market is more buyer friendly then selling as-is will net less money than fixing up your house to get a higher resale value.
Second, you’ll need to consider if you’re dealing with cosmetic updates or urgent repairs. With cosmetic updates, there are a couple of points you’ll want to consider:
- Listing and sale prices for similar homes in your neighborhood.
- Return on your investment for improvements. Doing modest updates to the kitchen or bathroom may get you a higher asking price. But doing DIY projects like adding wallpaper could end up hurting you if potential buyers don’t like it.
- If you’re working with a real estate agent, he or she can give you guidance on what updates are best.
Doing a few inexpensive upgrades like installing modern light fixtures, replacing old curtains and painting walls a neutral color can make a big difference when selling your home.
If your house needs a lot of work or you’re faced with expensive repairs, it may just be better to sell your house as-is. These repairs can include:
- Foundation problems
- Other structural issues
- Old roof
- Malfunctioning electrical system
- Old plumbing system
- Water damage
- Termite infestations
Is It Easy Selling a House As Is?
Selling a house as-is is easier than fixing it up. You’ll probably save money on repairs, which will be more of an up-front cost with selling your home this way. However, this will likely dramatically lower your asking price and you might still end up dealing with contingencies.
You can hire a real estate agent to sell the property for you or try selling by owner (FSBO). If you choose FSBO then you won’t have to pay a commission, but you’ll have more responsibilities and may need to do some marketing on your own.
What About Selling My House for Cash?
If your home needs a lot of expensive repairs, you can also consider selling it for cash. No repairs are necessary, and you’ll avoid costly realtor fees, which can take a big chunk of your profit.
As a bonus, you’ll be able to sell it very fast. This can be an attractive option if you’re dealing with the death of a family member, a divorce or a tough financial situation.
Here’s how our simple and stress-free process works at Sell Now Iowa. Our team of friendly real estate professionals have more than 20 years of experience as cash home buyers in Des Moines.
- We’ll meet at your property for a quick meeting, where we’ll do a brief walkthrough, take photos and discuss your options.
- We’ll give you a no-obligation cash offer within 24 hours. You can take the time you need to think it over without any pressure, and we’ll be available to answer any questions you might have.
- If you accept our offer, we’ll move quickly to begin the closing process. We handle this process in-house to ensure a fast and easy transaction.
- We’ll close on the property, and you can move on with your life.
We’re your neighbors at Sell Now Iowa. Buying your home is more than just another transaction for us. We pride ourselves on treating our clients with honesty, respect and direct communication. We know you might have a lot of questions during the process, so we’re only a text or phone call away.
Want to learn more about selling your house for cash in Des Moines? Give us a call at 515-531-2274 today to get started.